Work with your team using simple supplies to build the tallest tower possible before time runs out.
Ideal for building: Teamwork, innovation, creativity, communication, working under pressure, dealing with disappointment
What You Need to Play
- There are many different ways to play this game using simple supplies. See two options below:
- 10 Marshmallows per team
- 10 dry thick spaghetti noodles per team
- 10 straws per team
- 10 inches of masking tape
- 10 inches of string
- 5 pieces of 8.5”x11” paper
Feel free to come up with other supplies teams could use to build their tower. Just make sure each team gets the same amount of supplies.
- Tape Measure
- 4+ people
- 20 minutes
- Purchase/collect all of the building materials
- Separate all the supplies into equal groups for each team
- Measure and cut any string/tape to include for each team
- Ensure each team has the same amount of supplies
- Ensure each team has a flat surface to build on
How to Play Tallest Tower
- Explain the goal and the rules to the group: Teams will have ten minutes to build the tallest tower possible with the supplies provided. You cannot use anything other than what is provided. The tower has to be free standing. It cannot be attached to anything like the wall, ceiling or table. At the end of the time, the tower must be still standing to be measured. The team with the tallest (standing) tower wins!
- Ask the group to form teams of 4-5 people and send one person up to collect the building material
- Instruct the groups to wait to begin building until you say to start!
- Once all the teams have their supplies and are at their tables…say “Begin Building” and start the 10 min timer.
- At the end of the 10 minutes teams must stop building and cannot be touching their towers.
Debrief Example Questions
- How did your team come up with a plan for your tower?
- Did everyone on the team have a chance to be heard? Why or Why not?
- What worked for your team and what didn’t?
- What lessons did you learn that you can apply outside of this activity?