Challenge the team to find the hidden pathway through a grid without talking
Ideal for building: teamwork, Problem solving, teamwork, attention to detail
What You Need to Play
Paper, rubber spots, or carpet squares to create a 4×4 or 5×5 grid on the floor for each team
Mastercopy/map of the grid
- On a piece of paper draw out a 4×4 or 5×5 grid
- On the grid mark an x on the squares to create a “hidden pathway” through the grid to the other side
- Lay out the paper, rubber dots, or carpet squares to create the same 4×4 or 5×5 grid. DON’T SHOW THE GROUP THE PATHWAY!
How to Play Hidden Pathway
- Break the group into teams of 5-10 people
- Show the group the grid on the floor and tell them that they need to find the hidden pathway through the grid.
- Tell the group that they need to line up in front of the grid and that only one person at a time can be on the grid. There is NO talking aloud with in the group.
- One person at a time will step on to the grid on an one of the four or five squares in front of them, if they choose correctly you will stay silent, if they choose incorrectly you will make a buzzer sound (can find a sound on your phone).
- If they choose correctly they can keep going. To make the game easier or harder you can tell them if the pathway moves up a row on the grid each step or if there is a chance that the next step will be on the same row. I usually don’t have the grid go backwards but this can always be added for an extreme challenge.
- The goal is to get the whole team to the other side. But remember, you cannot talk so each team member needs to be paying attention to the right and wrong path.
- If you have multiple teams on their own grid you may need to have other facilitator’s with a copy of the path so they can monitor the other groups.
Debrief Example Questions
- What was the hardest part of the challenge?
- What did you have to do to remember the pathway?
- What can you learn and apply outside this activity?